Kick off Jasper’s annual winter celebration with live music, amazing food, and snowy adventures.
As far as winter festivals go, Jasper in January is a whopper. The festival covers most of the month, starting January 13 and wrapping up January 29. But while there’s plenty to keep you entertained mid-week, most of the events happen over the weekends.
Here’s what’s happening the first weekend of the Jasper in January Festival (Jan. 13-15, and beyond). See full festival schedule here.
Set your own schedule and fill your weekend with these fun events, happening throughout the weekend.
- See light installations around town
- Walk around town after dark to see Jasper's mountain town aglow with many sparkling light installations. Most are located outside the Jasper Information Centre, but don't miss the lit-up train car nearby on Connaught Dr.!
- Live music by Joe Nolan
- Catch this award-winning folk singer and songwriter performing nightly at the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge from Jan. 11–15 (7pm to 10 pm). Free event.
- See local art at The Buzz
- This open-ended exhibition is hosted at the Jasper Art Gallery. Pop by Jan. 13–14 between 10am and 6pm to soak up some talent.
- Learn ice climbing
- Complete beginners are welcome at the Ice Climbing 101 experiences, available Jan. 13–15 from Rockaboo Mountain Adventures.
- Explore the universe with the Jasper Planetarium
- For the fifth year in a row, the Jasper Planetarium will be offering their Festival of Galaxies as part of the Planetarium & Telescope combo experience. See ‘cities of stars’ at their best.. all through the most powerful telescopes in the Rockies.
- Poutine Showdown
- Help crown Jasper's best poutine! Restaurants around town will be creating a wide variety of tasty and unique poutines. Vote online for your favourite!
- Tastier Side of Winter
- Get special deals on seasonal dishes offered only during the festival!
- Caesars and Sliders
- Available every day of the festival from 4pm to 6pm at the Hearthstone Lounge in the Forest Park Hotel.
Friday, Jan. 13
- J in J Kick off party
- Start your festival experience at the Whistle Stop Pub for complimentary appetizers and Kokanee on tap. 5pm–8pm. 18+ event.
- Vinophilia, ft. Girls Club
- Indulge your love of wine at this cocktail style event. Sample wines from around the world and learn from experts about their unique offerings. Tunes provided by one of the leading female DJs in Alberta, Jaclyn of Girls Club. 6pm–9pm. $58.
- Wade Rimstad at the De'd Dog
- A Canadian musician hailing from Edmonton, Wade Rimstad now calls Jasper home. Catch him play at one of Jasper's favourite watering holes, the De'd Dog. Free event, starts at 8:30pm. 18+
- Jam Night at the Legion
- Don't miss this local favourite event. Rub shoulders with Jasperites and hear a variety of local and visiting musicians at the Jasper Legion. Want to take the stage yourself? Sign up starts at 6pm for 20 min at the mic. Performances start at 9pm.
Saturday, Jan. 14
- Pyramid Winter Fete
- Skate atop with Jasper the Bear beneath the impressive Pyramid Mountain! Then relax on a horse-drawn sleigh or hit the hot chocolate bar for a steamy treat. Families will especially love this free open-air event, which goes from 2pm–5pm at Pyramid Lake Resort.
- Jasper Inn & Suites Patio Party, ft. Pete Cherniawsky
- Gather fireside on the patio for live entertainment and family-friendly fun. $10 gets you access to the S'mores bar and some hot coco (parents can ask for a splash of Baileys added!) One-man band Pete Cherniawsky will be there playing all your favourite covers acoustically. 4pm–6pm at Jasper Inn & Suites.
- Whiskey Wine & Hops, ft. Lucydafirst
- Welcome to the ultimate apres ski event. This annual festival highlight offers up a selection of scotch, wines, spirits, local and international beers along with delicious tapas and apres snacks. The event kicks off at 6pm in the Forest Park Hotel Ballroom. Portion of the $60 ticket price goes toward supporting the Jasper Yellowhead Museum. Canadian electronic artist LUCYDAFIRST will bring her vibrant, energetic style to the DJ booth.
- Girls Club at Evil Dave's Grill
- If you missed DJ Jaclyn at Friday's Vinophilia: For the Love of Wine event then you've got another chance to catch her performing from 6pm–9pm at the eclectic and delicious Evil Dave's Grill.
- Sons & Daughter at Athabasca Hotel
- Don't miss the lively, upbeat show this beloved local band puts on! Described as Rocky Mountain Rock 'n Roll, this performance is guaranteed to be a good time. Show starts at 9pm. Free event, 18+.
- Lucette at Whistle Stop Pub
- Enjoy soulful "country-infused dream-pop" from Canadian artist Lauren Gillis. Having toured the United States, Canada and the UK, she now comes to Jasper. This free show starts at 9pm.
Sunday, Jan. 15
- Sunday Supper Club, ft. Wade Rimstad
- Get a taste of the alpine at Terra's weekly winter-inspired dinners. Expect drink specials, soul-warming dishes, decadent desserts and a backdrop of local live music. 6:30pm–10pm
- Ladies Ski Club
- Get a positive experience on skis by learning from and skiing with women! All abilities welcome. Registration includes four lessons, with options for either Tuesdays or Sundays through January.
Keep the party going until the second week of the festival with these events.
- Jasper Curling Club: Hot Shots Competition
- Take your best shot with this fun curling competition! Event starts at 6pm on Jan. 16. $15 in advance, $20 at the door.
- Wine O’Clock
- An exclusive Jasper in January Event with Jasper Food Tours founder Estelle Blanchette! Every weekday from 5:30–6:30pm, taste and explore three different wines of a single grape variety.
- Jasper Theatre Tour
- 4 performances! 4 locations! 1 unique experience! This exciting new event is full of surprise acts and drinks and will create a unique evening out. Don't miss this unique and one-of-a-kind show, which will feature everything from hilarious improv to an awe-inspiring aerial act. Jan. 19 (Thursday) from 6:30pm–9:30pm.
- Brewery Tours & Bingo
- On Jan. 19 (the Thursday) head to Jasper Brewing Co. in the afternoon for a tour of the first brewery to open in a national park. Later, bingo begins at 9pm, with $10 Steins.